Tuesday, March 11, 2008

southward bound

Throughout the novel I keep hoping something will develop between Toland and Sammy. I’m seriously crossing my fingers. On the flipside, I’m constantly worried for all the characters. It’s becoming a real page turner, and I’m actually saying that seriously.

I’m headed down south this next week (really south, not just Southern Illinois) with this rich, sordid background once again. I’ve found in roaming around Mississippi before that it’s mostly the older white people of the community that get kind of tense and defensive about everything. It’s generally obvious when you strike up a conversation with someone whether or not it’s safe to travel down that road.

This time I’m headed to New Orleans, where the past is even more complicated to begin with and has been made infinitely more messy by the can of worms Katrina opened up. I’m not sure what that’ll actually mean for my trip at all, but I find it ironic that this adventure falls right in the midst of this particular book.

No comments: